Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Prayer -- When You Can't....

"Our prayer...ought to express the feelings of a happy child who enjoys talking heart to heart with his father, and can throw himself into his father's arms with complete abandon.  Unfortunately, we are always poor sinners, and the knowledge of our wretchedness and unfaithfulness  may paralyze this filial affection, causing a certain fear to arise in our souls...especially when the soul is going through dark periods of struggle, temptations, and difficulties, all of which tend to throw it into agitation and confusion, impeding, in spite of its efforts, that confident outpouring of the heart which submerges all its worries in God.  Then one day, during prayer, the soul becomes recollected under the influence of a new light which drives away all fear, not a new thought, but an intimate realization of truth never before experienced:  God is my Father, I am His child.  It is the influence of the gift of piety, set in motion by the Holy Spirit."

"Come, Holy Spirit, be my interior Master...O Divine Spirit, pray then in me and through me.  I ought to think that it is You who are praying and praising God in me, even when weariness or aridity or distractions prevent me from being recollected.  I should remain, then, in a humble attitude of prayer, confident that You will draw from me the praise and glory which I do not know how to give, but which I desire to give to my God."  (Sr. Carmela of the Holy Spirit, OCD)
   ---from Divine Intimacy, #198

No comments:

Novena to the Holy Spirit

"Wait for the promise of the Father...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you." Acts 1:5,6

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.