Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gluttony
by Kay TePas

Gluttony is a disordered desire for food or drink; it diverts our love and affection from God and neighbor toward the pleasures food can bring us. We can be gluttonous without actually eating too much. We may just think and talk too much about food.
For instance, sometimes I catch myself anticipating he fresh-baked Easter coffee cake with more joy than I do the celebration of the feast with fellow Christians. Often my first thought in the morning is breakfast, instead of, Thank you, Jesus, for this new day! I may stop listening to the dinner conversation as I start thinking about the upcoming dessert.
I've found that the best way to fight gluttony is to redirect my affection away from food and back to God and others. Fasting is a powerful weapon against gluttony and a chance to save some money for those who are really hungry. (However I need to turn my mind to intercessory prayer for others when fasting, instead of calculations of calories saved.)
If possible, don't eat meals alone; when snacking, provide enough to share. Prepare others' favorite dishes and serve yourself last, being content with whatever (if anything) is left. A slow, heartfelt prayer before eating, thanking God for both the food and the blessing of being with others, is always helpful.

No comments:

Novena to the Holy Spirit

"Wait for the promise of the Father...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you." Acts 1:5,6

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.