Sunday, April 10, 2011

Seven days

With only 1 week before Holy Week, we thought it might be helpful to reflect on the 7 deadly sins. Each day will focus on a different sin. These sins are called deadly because they have the power to kill the life of the soul and often behind the seemingly mundane aspects of our behavior.

Pride
by Jill Boughton

Pride is preferring my way to your way or even God's way. In pride, I cling to my self-image at the expense of honesty, repentance, dependance and growth. That self image may be inflated, unreasonable (eg supermom) or self deprecating; all are equally rooted in pride.

Pride says, "It's beneath me to do that task." It also says, "I could never do that. It's too difficult." "I just don't have those gifts."

Pride soemtimes says, "Sure, I can take on one more thing. I'll never admit to being exhausted, over-committed or anything but indispensable."

Goaded by pride, I try to control external circumstances and other people. When they do not comply, I become irritated and judgmental. Sooner or later, my self-will is crossed by divine intervention. Instead of crying, "Praise you, Lord." I seek to comprehend God's entire purpose, even bend it to my own. This is such a serious task, I seldom laugh.

As a proud person, I am self-suficient, unable to admit any need for God or others I am often aware of my own faults but inevitably feel I can correct them with more insight and more effort. I cannot admit my helplessness or experience the joy of casting myself on God's mercy, receiving forgiveness and new life from him.

No comments:

Novena to the Holy Spirit

"Wait for the promise of the Father...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you." Acts 1:5,6

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.