Monday, February 20, 2012

Preparing for Lent

I thought Divine Intimacy might have some tips on preparing for Lent. I was right, but they don't have 3 days, they have 3 weeks worth! In short, they encourage purification of the senses, detachment and the way of "Nothing". A tall order for 2 days, but it is worth turning your mind and heart to the Lord to see what He may want for you this Lent. Here is just a taste of what Divine Intimacy offers during this preparation time:

"My God, give me the light necessary to recognize in myself all that keeps me from union with You...You know, O Lord, that I have great need of Your help, for I am too attached to myself to be capable of struggling against my disordered affections, of giving up so many little pleasures which feed my egotism. I love myself too much to sacrifice what separates me from You. Then, let me present myself to You, O Lord, as a sick person to a surgeon; plunge the knife into my soul, cut away and destroy all that displeases You and that is not in accord with Your will." (Divine Intimacy #79, p. 235 of the one volume version).

No comments:

Novena to the Holy Spirit

"Wait for the promise of the Father...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you." Acts 1:5,6

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.